Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Look Back

I have been voluntarily reserved in speaking about the presidential campaign over the past few months. At times it has been difficult. I have had friends try to convince me of "their right" answer(s). I have had others partake in the sad, self-righteous, cowardly attempt to "make their point" at the cost of propagating lies and rumors that were so blatantly comical that it made them look desperate. And through it all, I have tried to be quiet...and listen...and take it in. All of it.


Because I think there is more to learn, than teach (or convince).


I was sad last night during John McCain's concession speech. Sad, because last night I saw the John McCain that I knew and respected from a year (and more) ago. Sad, because I think if he had carried himself with the respect and dignity that he showed last night, he may have won. Sad at the reaction of his staunchest followers (and sad yet again that they were fellow conservatives), that they felt compelled to vehemently "boo" the mere mention of Obama's name. Shame on them.


But the night wasn't all sad. It was also hopeful. Hopeful of a new start. Hopeful that one quality of Obama's campaign, respect, becomes infectious across this country and brings people together. Hopeful that a majority in this country might truly believe that change, although difficult, can be positive.



Last night was historic for this country. I am still in awe at the enormous chasm we spanned in a day. I cannot recall being more proud to be American.

1 comment:

Momofgirls said...

Good words, my friend. I thought the same thing during JM's speech..where was THAT guy during the whole campaign? I have great hope in our country as well. I think it really is a neat thing that we have our first African-American president, it really is shameful how people with darker skin have been treated in this country over the years. I just wish he respected the sanctity of human life, and had a greater respct for our military, and those who have served us so well.
Maybe when he gets a more real "feel " for the awesome responsibilities that are ahead of him , he will change his way of thinking on a few points. Prov. 21:1
We are so lucky to have been born into this great country!
Let's pray for our country, and our newly elected president!