Sunday, November 2, 2008

Feeling Small


I was reminded today of the words of one of my favorite people - Steve Martin.


"I'm feeling...small."


I have been reminded of these profound words several times over the past week. Here are just a few:


  • A co-worker of mine just passed away unexpectedly this last week. Death always makes me feel small.

  • I watched "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" with my boys this week. Whether you believe in life on other planets (which, by the way, I don't), the idea of the vastness of space always makes me feel small.

  • Any glance up into the sky at night will make you feel small. I was reminded of that on Halloween night and the sliver of moon I saw in the sky this evening.

  • I attended church this weekend. If you are feeling 'big', just attend church. And I'm not talking about the number of people attending. If God doesn't make you feel small, nothing will.

I think it's good to be reminded (often) of how small we are. We have a natural human tendency to think more highly of ourselves than those around us. And I'd rather be part of a big thing, than be big all by myself.


I'm feeling small...and enjoying it!

1 comment:

bshawise said...

so you're saying you believe ALF was purely fiction?