Friday, November 28, 2008

"Thank you, Bob!"

I had a bit of a shocker Thanksgiving this year. Actually, the shock came the day before Thanksgiving, but the event returned me to my spiritual roots and really caused me to stop and ponder my life. But let me start at the beginning...

For those of you who don't know me that well, my journey of discovering God began in high school. My best friend, Rob, had the guts and where-with-all to invite me to the Youth Group he had started attending a few weeks earlier. I quickly made some excellent friends (people who are friends of mine to this day; friends I would do anything for), as well as finding a friend and mentor in Bob Lester, my Youth Pastor. Bob and I hit it off and quickly became aware that parts of us were cut from the same fabric; we were both pranksters and we both loved a good water-balloon fight. On a Summer night in 1978, after dinner at his house, I recall sitting around his dining room table with Rob and another mutual friend, John Fielder, and praying. The race-gun fired and I began chasing God.

I could say that in an evening my life changed. But in reality and hindsight, that was actually only the start of my life changing. And Bob had almost everything to do with it. I looked up to him and respected him. He was genuine and sincere in everything. He knew the equal value of having a serious discussion and having a good laugh. He was the kind of man I wanted to be. Apart from my Dad, Bob probably had the greatest influence on my life and an equal responsibility for who I am today.

After high school, I left the San Diego area (where I was living) to go to college. For the most part, I lost touch with Bob. My life was taking off, I was leaving the nest, and I was drawn by the future.

A few years ago, out of the blue, I was spending quite a bit of time remembering Bob and the impact he had on my life. I saw where I was in my life, what I had done with the blank canvas given to me, and was so grateful to Bob for the time he had invested in me as a teenager. I couldn't begin to imagine where I would have been if my life hadn't crossed paths with Bob. I reached out to a friend who was still in touch with Bob and his family to see if I could get his address. I wanted to drop him a note of "thanks" and tell him how much he influenced my life and was responsible for where and who I was. I got his email address and sent him a long letter. He replied shortly, and told me how thankful he was for the note, how proud he was of me, and how my gratitude had touched him. That was the last time I heard from him.

On Wednesday this week, I learned that Bob Lester passed away in his sleep. If that wasn't shock enough, I was also told by a family friend that Bob's will had me listed as someone to officiate his funeral if his pastor couldn't do it. I was both humbled and moved. I realized that, over the years, the respect I had for Bob became mutual. I only realized that this week.

"Bob, you will be missed, but not forgotten. Rest assured, your gift lives on in me and many others who were the recipients of your genuine love, playful spirit, and love of God. We are poorer from your passing, but heaven is richer. Thank you, Bob!"

4 comments:

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

What a beautiful post. Your words are obviously driven by missing someone who poured so much into you.

Sometimes I feel like the lucky ones are those left longing for those leaving/crossing over. It's b/c they were and are so great that we miss them so much, ... and so we are blessed to "miss them" I think.

While missing them hurts, the pain just represents how much we love them, and they love us, authentically, ... which is what we are supposed to be all about., right?

Scott and Jess said...

I had told some outh Group friends of mine about Bob's passing, and one wrote this email to me. I felt like it should reside here, as a tribute to Bob and for others to read:

Well, Scott, I hope you don't mind me writing this to you, but you are the first to tell me of Bob's passing, and I had to express myself. You don't even have to read it.

The ripple that began in the water with you guys that summer in 1980 soon affected me tremendously. You guys started going to BMF and listening to Bob Lester, I was "busy" with a summer project that precluded my attending youth group with you guys. You (Scott and Rob especially) had invited me to attend again and again because of what you had found in Christ, and wanted me, one of your friends, to join you.

I remember when I finally ran out of excuses and came to youth group on a Wednesday night. Bob preached from Ephesians 6 about children and parents and family relationships. I had no idea the Bible was so relevant, and practical to real life. I had thought it was really only a bunch of religous stuff (whatever that was). Well, I went back the following Wednesday hoping for more of the same, but Bob, this time, preached about Jesus' return and the "rapture" and how Christians were going to disappear all over the place. This sounded more like science fiction to me at the time, not the practical stuff I had heard the previous week. So I stayed away for at least a month after that. What was really happening in those next weeks was that I was really under conviction, thinking of how I was not ready for Jesus' return to earth!

About one month later, it was Wednesday, August 23, 1980. I returned and actually brought Dawn Boyer with me that night. When the invitation was given I got up from my seat and walked to the back of the room where I met big ol' Don Kirk. It was Don who walked me through the pamphlet "Steps to Peace ith God" by Billy Graham, and I received Christ as Savior that night. I remember when Bob Lester baptized me in the Stern's backyard pool. He and Donna gave me my first Bible after becoming a Christian; the same one that Pastor Dorman Owens (?) preached from. He also gave me the opportunity to preach on a Wednesday night to the youth group when he felt that I may have a calling on my life.

In time, Bob took me under his wing. I remember afternoon lunches at McDonalds for discipleship, and visiting the other highschoolers who had come to BMF, like I had. Bob was instrumental in getting me to consider going to Bible school, even though I already had a full ride football scholarship to Austin-Peay University. He told me the importance of biblical training, and he thought that since I was showing an interest in ministry, that this is what I should look into. It was a big step, but I did.

I ended up at Liberty University the next fall (1981) and finished four years of a Pastoral Ministry degree, then went on to Seminary for a Masters which I completed in 1992. In 1995 I got a job doing what I am doing to this day; teaching Christian worldview and ethics to new students who come to LU in their first two semesters. Every young person I reach with God's truth, is also fruit that abounds to Bob's account as well. I guess he has realized that now that he is in heaven.

I have to say, then, that Bob Lester had a huge impact in my life. He got me started in my Christian walk, and was there as a gentleman, showing me the way, like a good pastor would; the way to Christ, and the way to Christian ministry, where I still am today. I also work as a Sunday School teacher in my home church in the college-aged class. I am still reaching out to High School and College students with God's truth.

Thanks, Bob, for the leadership, and the lessons taught. Thanks for guiding me into the truth about Jesus and the Bible. Thanks for patiently teaching to a bunch of high school guys going into their senior year at Santana back in the summer of 1980 at a place called Bible Missionary Fellowship. See you later!
Love - Will

Momofgirls said...

Scott and Will, you both wrote the most beautiful tributes to our beloved youth pastor. I think we all have a bond with each other spiritually because of the great teaching we were lucky enough to be under. Thank you, both, for the eloquent words!

Inger

Anonymous said...

I learned of Bob Lester's passing reading this blog. I joined BMF in 1979 as an adult with a young family. I was baptized in Bob's pool by Dorman.

Bob was one of my favorite people and so was Donna. I know he would be proud of you all...and I'm sure his family is grateful for all your kind words.

Your comments are a great tribute to Bob and how one man can make such a difference in the lives of others.

Happiness to you all...