Friday, October 17, 2008

The BIG Holiday

Are you as fed up as I am?

I was in Sam's Club last week and saw Christmas decorations and wrapping paper out already. I almost screamed. It's not even Halloween! For the past 20 years, I say every year that the Christmas advertising starts earlier every year. I believe it's true. Even if it is earlier by a day or two than last year, it's creepin' up.

Do you remember the days of celebrating a holiday, one at a time? Do you remember as a kid looking for a Halloween costume and not getting lost in the artificial trees? Those were the days.

Nowadays, from the first of October to December, it's like one big holiday. And that's my proposal. I'm wasting too much energy getting so upset about the ever-increasing Christmas shopping season. I think we should just set the expectation that from September 1st through January 1st, we celebrate "Thanksgivoween".





Wouldn't that be so much easier? One set of decorations. One big school break. Not to mention an entire new line of Hallmark cards. No more changing the house decor from one holiday theme to the next. I can envision pumpkin snowmen and turkey-drawn sleighs (besides...that's way more believable than flying reindeer).

So, in the spirit of simplicity and less stress, I wish you all a very Merry Thanksgivoween!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it that such a great idea. It's also so true that it starts earlier every year Pat and I had a discussion about that last year. I loved the old days when our parents made a big day of it and there was more family around. One of my favorite Thanksgivings was when I was sixteen and went to your grandparents with Pat, Virginia & Dan. They broke me into the family real quick Debbie and I got tricked into doing the dishes because we were the only ones that had the cherry pie. I haven't eatten it since. Love your blogs. Paula