Friday, October 24, 2008

Isquotersquash


"What is that?", you say.


That is the Native American word for pumpkin. And I intend on using it in conversation between now and October 31st, so don't give me that look.


How about some lesser known facts about pumpkins and Halloween:


  • The pumpkin is actually a fruit, and is from the same family as melons and gherkins (I love that word! I'm using it this week, too)


  • The word 'pumpkin' comes from the French explorer, Jacques Cartier, who referred to these large fruit as "gross melons". In his native tongue, that translates to 'ponpions', which is where we get 'pumpkin'.


  • Pumpkins are indigenous to the western hemisphere and were completely unknown in Europe before Christopher Columbus' travels.


  • Halloween is actually based on an ancient Celtic holiday known as Samhain (pronounced "sau-en"), which means "summer's end", and was used to honor those who had passed away (I know this comes as a disappointment to all my wicken and ultra-conservative Christian friends - sorry).


  • Americans spend an estimated $6.9 billion annually on Halloween, making it the country's second largest commercial holiday (ashamedly embarrassing, but true).

I love Halloween! I always have. I love dressing up and being someone or something I am not. I enjoy the process of picking through the choicest pieces of candy from my sons harvest of the night, often disguised as carefully checking for 'razor blades and needles'. And ask my Mom...I have always got a thrill out of scaring the snot out of people. It's a rush. Similar to riding roller coasters...but much shorter.


Okay, I gotta run. I need to carve my isquotersquash.

No comments: